Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cynisism and Healing

We're half-way through the second week of Advent. I've noticed there are several different ways in which people choose to observe it. I've also noticed that the candles can even mean different things... we've chosen HOPE, PREPARE, JOY, LOVE and then of course, CHRIST. We also are doing Jesse Tree. Depending on what week we're in, we read the stories of Jesse Tree and we search for our theme in that passage. I'm loving this week. Prepare. Its dimensional; that question. How did God prepare the way for Christ, for the HOPE we learned of last week? How can I prepare my heart to make room for His presence in my life? How can I prepare the way for Him to enter into the lives of others?

Last week, while reading the story of Sarah , I was caught of guard and something clicked in that story that had never clicked before.... cynicism... maybe even a twinge of bitterness. I've always understood the concept of doubt in this story.... but the cynicism... I can really relate to that. Especially here of late. But the LORD reminded her, 'Is anything too hard for the LORD?'

So here I am asking myself, "How many times have I been the bitter, angry, cynic? How many times have I prayed with that cynical root in my heart?" And its always the same excuse. Free Will. It trips me up. Yes, God can do anything. But, if we have free will, how can he make someone act a certain way? I guess the same way he was able to get Pharaoh to free the Israelites. Persuasion. Harsh if need be? And that's where we were last night in our Jesse Tree; the story of Moses and the Israelites and that stone tablet full of commands. And for those of us who know much about that journey in the wilderness... we know that those Israelites who witnessed miracle after miracle after miracle were incredible cynics, weren't they? At times bitter, angry, cynics. Remember the story of the Marah? And what does God tell them there? "If you will listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his sight, obeying his commands and keeping all his decrees, then I will not make you suffer any of the diseases I sent on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord who HEALS you."

This morning during my personal Advent time, the Scripture reading was found in Psalm 119:105-106, "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. I've promised it once, and I'll promise it again; I will obey your righteous regulations." Isn't that what I promised as my confession of faith? That Christ is my Lord? And we see in Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me Lord, Lord, and not do what I say?" This is how He prepares the way. His Word, His commands, they lead me down the path of healing.

This whole post here, originated from a text message from someone close to me, going through a broken family relationship. The Lord reminded me of Micah 6:8 "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Because you see, I can point the finger so easily at all the faults of the other person, but that wouldn't allow me to walk humbly with my God. How can I possibly walk anywhere with Him knowing he knows every. single. sin. I have committed. Even some that I'm not aware of, yet in His loving mercy He forgave me. He even dares to walk this road with me, Him all white and holy; me all dirty with the grime of sin. I can advise to hold that person accountable, but that wouldn't be loving mercy, and it doesn't say to demand justice from others, it only says that I am to act justly (or do what is right). There is nothing but broken hearts left behind for this family that has fallen apart. But God promised, do what is right, ....and remember... I am the Lord who HEALS you. Satan would try to say, its too painful, its too risky, they're getting away with hurting others. But God says, "Have faith."


I have prayed for restoration for this family so many times. But every. single. time. It was with a cynical heart. I have no faith in the other party involved. But honestly, why am I so concerned with them? I should only be concerned with obeying my Lord's commands and from there on out, trust Him. If they break my heart, my LORD heals. If they break my friends' hearts, my LORD heals. It is not for me to seek revenge, or to dole out punishment. ALL that is required of me is to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God.

So from here on out, there is much weeding to be done pulling up those cynical roots. Lots of prayers for help with faith. Lots of prayers for my friends and all who are involved in this broken family. Lots of prayers and reminders that I am to be an encourager to obey His commands NOT an enabler to take it into our own hands.



No comments:

Post a Comment